When French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel went to Russia Friday, there was a lot of hope that this meant they could hammer out a deal to resume the Ukraine ceasefire.
Talks continued late into the night, but have not ended with any sort of deal, though they have at the very least agreed to continue talking, so hope remains that a pact could be reached.
EU officials continue to downplay the chances of a quick compromise, but both sides seem to be eagerly working on a settlement, which is always a good sign.
Ukraine and the eastern rebels reached a ceasefire in early September, but collapsed late last month, with both sides blaming the other for seeking unilateral action from the other.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump to Boost Exports of Lethal US Drones - March 20th, 2018
- Tests of Substance in Britain Poisoning Will Take Three Weeks - March 20th, 2018
- Iraq Approves Turkish Military Operations Against Border Kurds - March 20th, 2018
- Trump Praises Visiting Saudi Crown Prince, Focusing on Arms Sales - March 20th, 2018
- Cordial Talks Between Trump and Putin; Two Will Meet Soon - March 20th, 2018