When French President Francois Hollande and German Chancellor Angela Merkel went to Russia Friday, there was a lot of hope that this meant they could hammer out a deal to resume the Ukraine ceasefire.
Talks continued late into the night, but have not ended with any sort of deal, though they have at the very least agreed to continue talking, so hope remains that a pact could be reached.
EU officials continue to downplay the chances of a quick compromise, but both sides seem to be eagerly working on a settlement, which is always a good sign.
Ukraine and the eastern rebels reached a ceasefire in early September, but collapsed late last month, with both sides blaming the other for seeking unilateral action from the other.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Saudis Dismembered Journalist While He Was Still Alive, Audio Recording Shows - October 17th, 2018
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018