Three US military contractors were killed today in a shooting at the Kabul Airport, when an Afghan soldier opened fire on them. The soldier was also killed in the incident.
The deaths fueled immediate speculation that it was another “insider attack” of the type that has been so common throughout the NATO occupation of Afghanistan.
Afghan officials, however, say they are still unclear exactly what the reason was for the shooting, and that they intend to conduct an investigation into the matter.
Details on exactly what started the incident are scant, though in the past such shootings have not always been the case of “Taliban infiltration,” and at times such shootings were simply the result of arguments.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pompeo Rejects EU Appeal for Iran Sanctions Exemptions - July 16th, 2018
- US Commander: Afghan ISIS Resilient to US Attacks, Almost Impossible to Defeat - July 16th, 2018
- Israel Attacks on Aleppo Air Base Killed at Least 22 - July 16th, 2018
- White House Orders Diplomats to Seek Direct Talks With Afghan Taliban - July 16th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least Eight Civilians in Eastern Syria - July 16th, 2018