This week, 1,000 paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne will be sent to Iraq on what is being called a “training mission” for the Iraqi Army. The troops will join 250 from the same brigade already there.
This deployment was announced back in December as part of the 1,500 additional troops President Obama approved for the ISIS war at the time. Officials have refused to say where these troops will exactly deploy.
Some of the US ground troops already in Iraq have faced indirect fire from ISIS, and as more troops are added, so too does the chance that they will come into direct contact with ISIS forces on the ground.
The only Western ground troops to engage ISIS so far were Canadian special forces who, like the US forces, were supposed to be strictly in the nation for training purposes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Awash in US Arms, Vehicles, Complicate Afghan War - July 25th, 2017
- Blockading States Expand Qatar 'Terror' Blacklist - July 25th, 2017
- US SOCOM Chief Claims 60,000 to 70,000 ISIS Fighters Killed so Far - July 25th, 2017
- Trump Pledges Support for Lebanon's Anti-ISIS Push - July 25th, 2017
- Video Shows Six Minute Gunbattle in Which Jordan Guard Killed US Troops - July 25th, 2017