This week, 1,000 paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne will be sent to Iraq on what is being called a “training mission” for the Iraqi Army. The troops will join 250 from the same brigade already there.
This deployment was announced back in December as part of the 1,500 additional troops President Obama approved for the ISIS war at the time. Officials have refused to say where these troops will exactly deploy.
Some of the US ground troops already in Iraq have faced indirect fire from ISIS, and as more troops are added, so too does the chance that they will come into direct contact with ISIS forces on the ground.
The only Western ground troops to engage ISIS so far were Canadian special forces who, like the US forces, were supposed to be strictly in the nation for training purposes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian DM: Israeli Warplanes Caused Shoot-down of Russian Plane Near Syria; 15 Troops Killed - September 18th, 2018
- Taliban Kill at Least 27 Security Forces in Attacks Across Afghanistan - September 17th, 2018
- Iraq to Deploy More Troops to Turkey Border - September 17th, 2018
- North and South Korea Push to End Korean War, but U.S. Opposes - September 17th, 2018
- US Air Force Pushes for Massive Increase in Spending - September 17th, 2018