Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s invite to Congress to shill for Iran sanctions is the culmination of a long process that started with a split in the Israeli government.
Spy agency Mossad had already split with Netanyahu on the sanctions, and has issued a warning to the US Congress that the sanctions bill would kill diplomacy with Iran over its nuclear program.
It’s no mystery that the sanctions would kill the talks, but for US Congressional hawks that was very much the point, and after the Mossad warning, they sought “clarification” from the Netanyahu government.
Having Mossad warn that sanctions are a bad thing could really kill Congressional efforts to get enough votes to override a threatened Obama veto, and Netanyahu’s invite by the House Speaker, over White House objections, seems to be their last hope at getting enough votes to impose the sanctions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Qaeda Fighters Kill 22 Syrian Troops Near Idlib - November 16th, 2018
- US Opposes UNGA Resolution Calling on Israel to Return Golan Heights - November 16th, 2018
- US to Accuse Iran of Capacity to Violate Chemical Weapons Ban - November 16th, 2018
- Israel Coalition Falters as Netanyahu Takes Top Positions - November 16th, 2018
- Report: CIA Concludes Saudi Crown Prince Ordered Khashoggi's Murder - November 16th, 2018