FM Says Strike a Violation of Sovereignty
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry issued a rare statement of criticism today, complaining about one of the recent US drone strikes, which killed seven people in North Waziristan Agency.
The statement reiterated what were once commonplace condemnations, saying the strikes are a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity ad need to stop immediately.
Pakistan used to issue such statements after every US drone strike, but for the past several months had not done so, something many saw as tacit support for a surge in US attacks.
Polls have continued to show the drone strikes overwhelmingly unpopular in Pakistan, and even if the Sharif government isn’t serious about stopped them, it seems politically important to at least make a bit of noise about opposing them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrike Kills 33 Civilians Sheltering at Syrian School - March 22nd, 2017
- US Investigating Airstrike on Syria Mosque Which Killed 49 Civilians - March 21st, 2017
- Kurdish Infighting Brings Violence Back to Yazidi Heartland in Iraq - March 21st, 2017
- Senate Majority Leader Rejects Trump's Foreign Aid Cuts - March 21st, 2017
- Trump Aides Push for 'Broad Sanctions' Against North Korea - March 21st, 2017