FM Says Strike a Violation of Sovereignty
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry issued a rare statement of criticism today, complaining about one of the recent US drone strikes, which killed seven people in North Waziristan Agency.
The statement reiterated what were once commonplace condemnations, saying the strikes are a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity ad need to stop immediately.
Pakistan used to issue such statements after every US drone strike, but for the past several months had not done so, something many saw as tacit support for a surge in US attacks.
Polls have continued to show the drone strikes overwhelmingly unpopular in Pakistan, and even if the Sharif government isn’t serious about stopped them, it seems politically important to at least make a bit of noise about opposing them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Women Leaders Urge UN Chief to End Korean War After 63 Years - September 27th, 2016
- Libyan Unity Govt: No Choice But to Give General a Position of Influence - September 27th, 2016
- Defense Secretary: 9/11 Victims Bill Could Be Devastating to Military - September 27th, 2016
- FBI Investigating Possible Hacking of Dems' Cellphones - September 27th, 2016
- Turkey: Kurds Joining Raqqa Offensive Would Endanger Syria's Future - September 27th, 2016