FM Says Strike a Violation of Sovereignty
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry issued a rare statement of criticism today, complaining about one of the recent US drone strikes, which killed seven people in North Waziristan Agency.
The statement reiterated what were once commonplace condemnations, saying the strikes are a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity ad need to stop immediately.
Pakistan used to issue such statements after every US drone strike, but for the past several months had not done so, something many saw as tacit support for a surge in US attacks.
Polls have continued to show the drone strikes overwhelmingly unpopular in Pakistan, and even if the Sharif government isn’t serious about stopped them, it seems politically important to at least make a bit of noise about opposing them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Heavy Fighting as ISIS Attacks Rebels in North Syria Town of Marea - May 29th, 2016
- US Forces on Frontlines in New Iraqi Kurdish Offensive - May 29th, 2016
- US Warns Iraq Faces Long, Tough Fight in Fallujah - May 29th, 2016
- Report: US, Turkish Strikes Kill 104 ISIS in North Syria - May 29th, 2016
- 200 Retired Israeli Security Officials Present Peace Plan - May 29th, 2016