FM Says Strike a Violation of Sovereignty
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry issued a rare statement of criticism today, complaining about one of the recent US drone strikes, which killed seven people in North Waziristan Agency.
The statement reiterated what were once commonplace condemnations, saying the strikes are a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity ad need to stop immediately.
Pakistan used to issue such statements after every US drone strike, but for the past several months had not done so, something many saw as tacit support for a surge in US attacks.
Polls have continued to show the drone strikes overwhelmingly unpopular in Pakistan, and even if the Sharif government isn’t serious about stopped them, it seems politically important to at least make a bit of noise about opposing them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Worldwide Shock at British Decision to Leave EU - June 24th, 2016
- Poland: EU Needs a New Treaty to Prevent More Brexits - June 24th, 2016
- Obama Assures Britain 'Special Relationship' Is Safe Despite Brexit - June 24th, 2016
- Pentagon Confirms New Afghan Strikes Since Obama's Recent Escalation - June 24th, 2016
- France Fears Brexit Will Harm Regional Military Power - June 24th, 2016