FM Says Strike a Violation of Sovereignty
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry issued a rare statement of criticism today, complaining about one of the recent US drone strikes, which killed seven people in North Waziristan Agency.
The statement reiterated what were once commonplace condemnations, saying the strikes are a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity ad need to stop immediately.
Pakistan used to issue such statements after every US drone strike, but for the past several months had not done so, something many saw as tacit support for a surge in US attacks.
Polls have continued to show the drone strikes overwhelmingly unpopular in Pakistan, and even if the Sharif government isn’t serious about stopped them, it seems politically important to at least make a bit of noise about opposing them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Rumor Drives US Accusations That Russia Is Rigging Their Election - August 30th, 2016
- Key Houthi Leader Endorses New Yemen Peace Talks - August 29th, 2016
- Three US Allies Now Fighting Against Each Other in Northern Syria - August 29th, 2016
- Syrian Kurdish Forces Reinforce Manbij as Turkey Continues Push - August 29th, 2016
- Iran Says US Spy Drone Briefly Enters Their Airspace - August 29th, 2016