FM Says Strike a Violation of Sovereignty
Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry issued a rare statement of criticism today, complaining about one of the recent US drone strikes, which killed seven people in North Waziristan Agency.
The statement reiterated what were once commonplace condemnations, saying the strikes are a violation of Pakistan’s sovereignty and territorial integrity ad need to stop immediately.
Pakistan used to issue such statements after every US drone strike, but for the past several months had not done so, something many saw as tacit support for a surge in US attacks.
Polls have continued to show the drone strikes overwhelmingly unpopular in Pakistan, and even if the Sharif government isn’t serious about stopped them, it seems politically important to at least make a bit of noise about opposing them.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Heavy Clashes Among Militias in Libya's Tripoli - December 2nd, 2016
- Senate Passes New Bill Targeting College Students Who Criticize Israel - December 2nd, 2016
- Iran: US Extension of Sanctions Act Violates Nuclear Deal - December 2nd, 2016
- Iraq Struggles With ISIS Oil Fires - December 2nd, 2016
- Iraqi Troops Spray Shi'ite Graffiti in Mosul - December 2nd, 2016