The Pentagon has offered some of the first details of the long-standing plan to create a new “moderate” Syrian rebel force out of whole cloth to fight both ISIS and the Assad government.
Though it was initially believed the training would center around existing pro-US factions in the rebellion, the Pentagon has since revealed they intend to form an entirely new faction.
They’ve also said they believe it will take at least a year for this force to be capable of any operations, from the time that the training begins. It remains to be seen how many recruits they’ll be able to get, and whether these factions will be any more effective than the previous pro-US rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Turns Off Loudspeakers Aimed at North Korea - April 23rd, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Attack Wedding Party in NW Yemen, Killing Dozens - April 23rd, 2018
- Senate Panel OKs Pompeo After Rand Paul Flip - April 23rd, 2018
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018