The Pentagon has offered some of the first details of the long-standing plan to create a new “moderate” Syrian rebel force out of whole cloth to fight both ISIS and the Assad government.
Though it was initially believed the training would center around existing pro-US factions in the rebellion, the Pentagon has since revealed they intend to form an entirely new faction.
They’ve also said they believe it will take at least a year for this force to be capable of any operations, from the time that the training begins. It remains to be seen how many recruits they’ll be able to get, and whether these factions will be any more effective than the previous pro-US rebels.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan Rights Group: Many War Crimes Committed in Ghazni Battle - August 15th, 2018
- US to Send More Marines to Norway, Angering Russia - August 15th, 2018
- Gaza Ceasefire Goes Into Effect, Israel Opens Border Crossing to Goods - August 15th, 2018
- Slain Bus Full of Children Raises Questions About US Role in Yemen War - August 15th, 2018
- US Military Spending Bill Could Target al-Jazeera as 'Foreign Agent' - August 15th, 2018