Trying to boost support for NSA surveillance, House Speaker John Boehner (R – OH) claimed that an NSA wiretap was the key to capturing a 20-year-old Cincinnati man the FBI has labeled a “jihadist.”
The FBI claimed the man, Christopher Cornell, plotted to bomb the Capitol building, and had cited “tipsters” who told them about Cornell’s Twitter posts, crediting their own informants for the arrest. They never mentioned the NSA.
Boehner insisted the FBI affidavit wasn’t the whole story, and says the US would’ve never known about Cornell’s putative plot if the NSA wasn’t wiretap him.
It will be interesting to see if any more information comes out on this, as Cornell has never even been alleged to have had any foreign contacts, so it’s unclear how the NSA would’ve conceivably gotten involved, apart from the sort of wholesale surveillance of random Americans they continue to insist they’d never do.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017