ISIS’ deputy emir of the Deir Ezzor Province, who also served as a leader of the powerful al-Hesbeh police force in ISIS territory, was found beheaded in the city of al-Mayadeen today. The body showed signs of torture.
The deputy emir’s death was a surprise, as he is the highest ranked ISIS official to turn up dead this way. It is unclear who was actually responsible for the killing, and it has been speculated it may well have been ISIS themselves, doing so for some perceived abuse.
Reports from rebel mouthpiece the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that the body was found with a message written on it saying “this is evil, you Sheikh,” and with a cigarette in the severed head’s mouth.
This has raised speculation of him running afoul of ISIS, as the group itself has been ratcheting up a public smoking ban, and may have decided they’re going to make an example of the police leader for violating it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018