ISIS’ deputy emir of the Deir Ezzor Province, who also served as a leader of the powerful al-Hesbeh police force in ISIS territory, was found beheaded in the city of al-Mayadeen today. The body showed signs of torture.
The deputy emir’s death was a surprise, as he is the highest ranked ISIS official to turn up dead this way. It is unclear who was actually responsible for the killing, and it has been speculated it may well have been ISIS themselves, doing so for some perceived abuse.
Reports from rebel mouthpiece the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that the body was found with a message written on it saying “this is evil, you Sheikh,” and with a cigarette in the severed head’s mouth.
This has raised speculation of him running afoul of ISIS, as the group itself has been ratcheting up a public smoking ban, and may have decided they’re going to make an example of the police leader for violating it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Germany Suspends Training for Iraqi Kurdish Troops - October 18th, 2017
- Oil Firm Sees Congressional Vote on Iran Deal as Potential Positive - October 18th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrike Kills Six Civilians, Mostly Children, in North Yemen - October 18th, 2017
- Kurdish Independence at Risk Amid Iraqi Offensive - October 18th, 2017
- Catalonia Will Declare Independence If Spain Suspends Autonomy - October 18th, 2017