A female suicide bomber blew herself up today at an Istanbul police station, killing a Turkish police officer and wounding other. The attack took place in a popular tourist district.
The attacker reportedly came in and said she was reporting a missing wallet, then detonated a bomb. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu reported she had two other bombs which were successfully defused, preventing more casualties.
The attack was claimed by the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C), a Marxist-Leninist group listed as a terrorist organization in both Turkey and the United States.
The DHKP-C has a long history of such attacks, and carried out a suicide bombing in February of 2013 against the US Embassy in Ankara. The group also assassinated a pair of US soldiers during the 1991 Iraq War, saying they were “protesting US imperialism” with the attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018