A female suicide bomber blew herself up today at an Istanbul police station, killing a Turkish police officer and wounding other. The attack took place in a popular tourist district.
The attacker reportedly came in and said she was reporting a missing wallet, then detonated a bomb. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu reported she had two other bombs which were successfully defused, preventing more casualties.
The attack was claimed by the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C), a Marxist-Leninist group listed as a terrorist organization in both Turkey and the United States.
The DHKP-C has a long history of such attacks, and carried out a suicide bombing in February of 2013 against the US Embassy in Ankara. The group also assassinated a pair of US soldiers during the 1991 Iraq War, saying they were “protesting US imperialism” with the attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Informs US Leaders on Future Air Wars - September 19th, 2017
- Western Nations Clash at UN Over Iran Nuclear Deal - September 19th, 2017
- US May Try to Shoot Down Future North Korean Missile - September 19th, 2017
- Catalonia Mayors Exercise Right to Remain Silent in Referendum Interrogation - September 19th, 2017
- US Bombing Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria at Record Pace - September 19th, 2017