A female suicide bomber blew herself up today at an Istanbul police station, killing a Turkish police officer and wounding other. The attack took place in a popular tourist district.
The attacker reportedly came in and said she was reporting a missing wallet, then detonated a bomb. Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu reported she had two other bombs which were successfully defused, preventing more casualties.
The attack was claimed by the Revolutionary People’s Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C), a Marxist-Leninist group listed as a terrorist organization in both Turkey and the United States.
The DHKP-C has a long history of such attacks, and carried out a suicide bombing in February of 2013 against the US Embassy in Ankara. The group also assassinated a pair of US soldiers during the 1991 Iraq War, saying they were “protesting US imperialism” with the attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Separatists Attack Iran Military Parade in Ahvaz, Killing at Least 29 - September 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018