A week after a Jordanian pilot was shot down and captured by ISIS, Jordanian MP Rula al-Hroob has confirmed that the nation has halted its involvement in the ISIS war, and is no longer conducting airstrikes.
Al-Hroob insisted the move was not a “permanent decision,” but rather a step back from the conflict to try to get a deal done to recover the pilot. So far there are no indications ISIS is close to releasing them.
Al-Hroob said that it was possible Jordan would launch an attempted rescue mission to recover the pilot, insisting the nation has “lots of intelligence informers” in both Iraq and Syria.
The pilot, Moaz al-Kassasbeh, is the only pilot shot down yet in the ISIS war, but the fact that ISIS was capable of downing one plane has raised fears that others will follow, and as the war continues into the long-term, he may end up just one of many.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Says 36 ISIS Killed in Thursday's Syria Strike - April 22nd, 2018
- Trump Denies Making Too Many Concessions to North Korea - April 22nd, 2018
- Iran Vows 'Vigorous' Enrichment of Uranium if US Quits Nuclear Deal - April 22nd, 2018
- Syrian Forces Advance into Islamist-Held Area South of Damascus - April 22nd, 2018
- Chemical Inspectors Complete Visit to Syria's Douma - April 22nd, 2018