13 years and, by a very conservative reckoning, $1 trillion later, the US is transitioning to a different phase of the Afghan occupation in January. President Obama insists it was all worth it.
Speaking at a Marine Corps base, Obama declared that the occupation had made the world “safer” and that Afghanistan “is not going to be the source of terrorist attacks again.”
The comments must draw immediate comparisons to President Bush’s ill-conceived “mission accomplished” statement, as the US is far from ending the Afghan war, and indeed is planning to escalate activities in 2015 beyond what had previously been announced.
Obama went on to brag that Afghanistan “has a chance to rebuild its own country” because of the occupation, though many billions of dollars thrown at “reconstruction” schemes by the administration have been wasted, with Afghanistan regularly showing up on the list of most dysfunctional and corrupt nations on earth.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Kurdish Commander: Anti-ISIS Offensive Slowed by Presence of Civilians - February 15th, 2019
- US Military Aircraft to Deliver Aid to Venezuela's Border - February 15th, 2019
- US Expected to Pull 1,000 Troops From Afghanistan in 'Efficiency Effort' - February 15th, 2019
- US Investigators Probing Years of WikiLeaks Activities - February 15th, 2019
- US General Says Arming, Aiding Syria Kurds Should Continue After Pullout - February 15th, 2019