13 years and, by a very conservative reckoning, $1 trillion later, the US is transitioning to a different phase of the Afghan occupation in January. President Obama insists it was all worth it.
Speaking at a Marine Corps base, Obama declared that the occupation had made the world “safer” and that Afghanistan “is not going to be the source of terrorist attacks again.”
The comments must draw immediate comparisons to President Bush’s ill-conceived “mission accomplished” statement, as the US is far from ending the Afghan war, and indeed is planning to escalate activities in 2015 beyond what had previously been announced.
Obama went on to brag that Afghanistan “has a chance to rebuild its own country” because of the occupation, though many billions of dollars thrown at “reconstruction” schemes by the administration have been wasted, with Afghanistan regularly showing up on the list of most dysfunctional and corrupt nations on earth.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- House: No Authorization for US to Attack Iran - May 25th, 2018
- Report: Israel Struck Syria Airbase to Target Hezbollah Members - May 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Assures South Korea That US Is Committed to Denuclearization - May 25th, 2018
- South Korea Disappointed at Abrupt US Decision to Cancel Kim Summit - May 25th, 2018
- Trump, Mattis Say June 12 Summit With North Korea Could Still Happen - May 25th, 2018