Insists Protracted Occupation Made World 'Safer'
13 years and, by a very conservative reckoning, $1 trillion later, the US is transitioning to a different phase of the Afghan occupation in January. President Obama insists it was all worth it.
Speaking at a Marine Corps base, Obama declared that the occupation had made the world “safer” and that Afghanistan “is not going to be the source of terrorist attacks again.”
The comments must draw immediate comparisons to President Bush’s ill-conceived “mission accomplished” statement, as the US is far from ending the Afghan war, and indeed is planning to escalate activities in 2015 beyond what had previously been announced.
Obama went on to brag that Afghanistan “has a chance to rebuild its own country” because of the occupation, though many billions of dollars thrown at “reconstruction” schemes by the administration have been wasted, with Afghanistan regularly showing up on the list of most dysfunctional and corrupt nations on earth.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea on High Alert, Russia Denies Deployments Near North Korea - April 21st, 2017
- Chemical Weapons Watchdog Spurns Russian Call for New Syria Probe - April 20th, 2017
- US Seeks Saudi Assurances on Limiting Yemen Civilian Casualties Ahead of Arms Sales - April 20th, 2017
- North Korea Warns of Preemptive Strike Amid Continued US Threats - April 20th, 2017
- Russia Sends Troops, Equipment to North Korea Border Amid War Fears - April 20th, 2017