Syrian Kurdish forces led by the People’s Protection Units (YPG) have reported at least 44 ISIS fighters have been killed in fighting against them today, with the largest battles around the village of Qassiab.
Qassiab, in the Hasakeh Province, was taken earlier in the week by ISIS, though the YPG reported retaking it on Tuesday. 30 ISIS fighters were reported killed today in the push against it.
The Hasakeh Province has been a struggle for ISIS in recent days, as the Syrian military also reported major death tolls against ISIS fighters in recent days in fighting around the Kurdish dominated region.
The other 14 fighters were reported slain in Kobani, in the Aleppo Province, an important Kurdish city over which they’ve been battling for many weeks now. So far, the Kurds continue to hold it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles to Find Destinations for ISIS Detainees in Syria - July 18th, 2018
- Syrian Rebel City of Nawa Surrenders After Intense Airstrikes - July 18th, 2018
- Trump: Russia Doesn't Pose a Threat to US - July 18th, 2018
- Russia Urges UN to Mull Easing North Korea Sanctions Amid Diplomatic Progress - July 18th, 2018
- Israel Approves Jewish Nation-State Law in Narrow Vote - July 18th, 2018