Syrian Kurdish forces led by the People’s Protection Units (YPG) have reported at least 44 ISIS fighters have been killed in fighting against them today, with the largest battles around the village of Qassiab.
Qassiab, in the Hasakeh Province, was taken earlier in the week by ISIS, though the YPG reported retaking it on Tuesday. 30 ISIS fighters were reported killed today in the push against it.
The Hasakeh Province has been a struggle for ISIS in recent days, as the Syrian military also reported major death tolls against ISIS fighters in recent days in fighting around the Kurdish dominated region.
The other 14 fighters were reported slain in Kobani, in the Aleppo Province, an important Kurdish city over which they’ve been battling for many weeks now. So far, the Kurds continue to hold it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Drone Strikes Kill 31 People in Pakistan Tribal Areas - October 17th, 2017
- Catalonia Won't Renounce Independence, Despite Looming Deadline - October 17th, 2017
- Pentagon May Stop Training Iraqis Amid Kurdish Conflict - October 17th, 2017
- Kurdish Forces Abandon Territory In Face of Iraqi Offensive - October 17th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Declare Victory in Raqqa, But Face Complicated Peace - October 17th, 2017