The Israeli High Court has thrown out the last objections from environmental groups and approved Afek Oil and Gas, a subsidiary of politically well-connected Genie Israel, to begin exploratory drilling in the Golan Heights.
Genie Israel is run by retired Israeli General Effi Eitam, who famously declared Palestinians “creatures who came our of the depths of darkness,” and predicted Israel would eventually have to kill them all. The company also has a “strategic advisory board” that includes Rupert Murdoch and other well connected international individuals, and formerly also included Dick Cheney.
The move to drill in Golan faced its biggest obstacle within Israel from the environmentalist movement, but a much bigger problem is that the Golan Heights are considered, per UN Security Council Resolution 242, Israeli-occupied territory that actually belongs to Syria.
Afek got around environmental complaints by arguing that they’re only drilling for exploration, not production, but is expected to move toward commercial production in a few years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Growing Fears of ISIS Establishing a Foothold in Southern Philippines - May 29th, 2017
- McCain: Putin Is a Bigger Threat Than ISIS - May 29th, 2017
- ISIS Car Bomb Kills 13 at Central Baghdad Ice Cream Parlor - May 29th, 2017
- Over 1,000 Syria Rebels Leave Damascus Area in Evacuation Deal - May 29th, 2017
- Iran Hardliners Accuse Rouhani of Voter Fraud - May 29th, 2017