The Obama Administration today boycotted a Geneva conference on the Fourth Geneva Convention, because the topic of discussion was the Israeli occupation of Palestine.
126 of the 196 parties to the conventions affirmed that the Fourth Geneva Convention must be respected in the occupied territories, criticizing Israel for its repeated, flagrant violations.
The Fourth Geneva Convention governs the rights of civilians living under military occupation, in particular banning collective punishment, physical abuse, and the transfer of occupier populations into occupied territory (i.e. settlements).
Israel maintains that the Geneva Conventions don’t apply to the occupied territories, claiming their sovereignty “is in limbo” because of how long they have been under Israeli control, and because the Palestinians were not previously an independent state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cluster Bomb Attack Against East Syrian Village Kills at Least 30 Civilians - June 28th, 2017
- Russia: Trump and Putin Probably Should Talk During Hamburg Summit - June 28th, 2017
- US Special Forces Deployed to Kurdish City on Turkish Border - June 28th, 2017
- ISIS Looks to Expand Presence in Northern Afghanistan - June 28th, 2017
- South Korea Leader Reverses Stance, Now Backs Trump Against North Korea - June 28th, 2017