Across myriad wars and insurgencies worldwide, vehicles make the biggest makeshift bombs. We’ve seen car bombs, motorcycle bombs, truck bombs, and even rarer things like donkey bombs. ISIS is taking it a step further, with the first tank bombs.
Reports out of Syria’s eastern Deir Ezzor Province say that ISIS used a suicide tank bomb attack earlier this month, during the attempted siege of the last Syrian military air base in the province.
Details on the damage done by the attack are still unclear, and it is similarly unclear what sort of tank was used in the bombing. ISIS has seized a number of tanks in fighting in both Syria and Iraq.
ISIS’ access to modern weaponry seems to be growing on other fronts, too, with the latest propaganda video on Kobani featuring surveillance drone footage of targets of suicide bombings in the Kurdish border town. The footage suggests ISIS has at least something of a drone fleet.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Germany Suspends Training for Iraqi Kurdish Troops - October 18th, 2017
- Oil Firm Sees Congressional Vote on Iran Deal as Potential Positive - October 18th, 2017
- Saudi Airstrike Kills Six Civilians, Mostly Children, in North Yemen - October 18th, 2017
- Kurdish Independence at Risk Amid Iraqi Offensive - October 18th, 2017
- Catalonia Will Declare Independence If Spain Suspends Autonomy - October 18th, 2017