Across myriad wars and insurgencies worldwide, vehicles make the biggest makeshift bombs. We’ve seen car bombs, motorcycle bombs, truck bombs, and even rarer things like donkey bombs. ISIS is taking it a step further, with the first tank bombs.
Reports out of Syria’s eastern Deir Ezzor Province say that ISIS used a suicide tank bomb attack earlier this month, during the attempted siege of the last Syrian military air base in the province.
Details on the damage done by the attack are still unclear, and it is similarly unclear what sort of tank was used in the bombing. ISIS has seized a number of tanks in fighting in both Syria and Iraq.
ISIS’ access to modern weaponry seems to be growing on other fronts, too, with the latest propaganda video on Kobani featuring surveillance drone footage of targets of suicide bombings in the Kurdish border town. The footage suggests ISIS has at least something of a drone fleet.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Officials Trying to Finalize Legal Language to Expand Gitmo's Use - August 20th, 2017
- White House Continues to Talk Up 'Preventative War' Against North Korea - August 20th, 2017
- Trump Elevates US Cyber Command to a Formal Military Command - August 20th, 2017
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Trump's Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017