Across myriad wars and insurgencies worldwide, vehicles make the biggest makeshift bombs. We’ve seen car bombs, motorcycle bombs, truck bombs, and even rarer things like donkey bombs. ISIS is taking it a step further, with the first tank bombs.
Reports out of Syria’s eastern Deir Ezzor Province say that ISIS used a suicide tank bomb attack earlier this month, during the attempted siege of the last Syrian military air base in the province.
Details on the damage done by the attack are still unclear, and it is similarly unclear what sort of tank was used in the bombing. ISIS has seized a number of tanks in fighting in both Syria and Iraq.
ISIS’ access to modern weaponry seems to be growing on other fronts, too, with the latest propaganda video on Kobani featuring surveillance drone footage of targets of suicide bombings in the Kurdish border town. The footage suggests ISIS has at least something of a drone fleet.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018
- Report: Saudis Preparing to Admit Journalist Died During 'Interrogation' - October 15th, 2018
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018