Across myriad wars and insurgencies worldwide, vehicles make the biggest makeshift bombs. We’ve seen car bombs, motorcycle bombs, truck bombs, and even rarer things like donkey bombs. ISIS is taking it a step further, with the first tank bombs.
Reports out of Syria’s eastern Deir Ezzor Province say that ISIS used a suicide tank bomb attack earlier this month, during the attempted siege of the last Syrian military air base in the province.
Details on the damage done by the attack are still unclear, and it is similarly unclear what sort of tank was used in the bombing. ISIS has seized a number of tanks in fighting in both Syria and Iraq.
ISIS’ access to modern weaponry seems to be growing on other fronts, too, with the latest propaganda video on Kobani featuring surveillance drone footage of targets of suicide bombings in the Kurdish border town. The footage suggests ISIS has at least something of a drone fleet.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018