Redacted though it was, the summary of the CIA torture report was still hundreds of pages of shocking misconduct. and fueled both shock and condemnation worldwide,
The condemnation was loudest from those nations the US is always criticizing on human rights, giving rivals like China and Russia a chance to point out US hypocrisy.
Even nations that were overtly involved in the program like Iraq and Afghanistan issued statements of shock about how far the program went and how brutal the day-to-day operations in the CIA’s torture dungeons actually were.
One of the few nations not shocked by anything the CIA did was Iraq, as the Abu Ghraib scandal and other brutality during the US occupation is still burned into memories there.
While the UN and others are using the summary as a call for reform and prosecution of the torturers, it seems apparent at this point that the US will not be making any policy changes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Talks Halt Amid PA Threats - September 23rd, 2018
- China Cancels US Military Talks to Protest Sanctions - September 23rd, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 18 in Southern Somalia - September 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US-Led Coalition Killed 3,300 Civilians in Four Years - September 23rd, 2018
- Jihadist Group Rejects Turkey-Russia Deal on Syria's Idlib - September 23rd, 2018