Redacted though it was, the summary of the CIA torture report was still hundreds of pages of shocking misconduct. and fueled both shock and condemnation worldwide,
The condemnation was loudest from those nations the US is always criticizing on human rights, giving rivals like China and Russia a chance to point out US hypocrisy.
Even nations that were overtly involved in the program like Iraq and Afghanistan issued statements of shock about how far the program went and how brutal the day-to-day operations in the CIA’s torture dungeons actually were.
One of the few nations not shocked by anything the CIA did was Iraq, as the Abu Ghraib scandal and other brutality during the US occupation is still burned into memories there.
While the UN and others are using the summary as a call for reform and prosecution of the torturers, it seems apparent at this point that the US will not be making any policy changes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Tanks Attack Syrian Army Post Over Errant Mortar Fire - October 19th, 2017
- Syrian Kurds Holding Foreign ISIS Leaders - October 19th, 2017
- ISIS Seizes Villages South of Kirkuk as Iraq Focuses on Kurds - October 19th, 2017
- Pentagon Opens Niger Ambush Probe, Seeking Details on What Happened - October 19th, 2017
- State Dept Contradicts Trump on Cuba 'Attack' Accusation - October 19th, 2017