It’s not entirely a secret, since at times Israeli officials loudly brag about their close ties with Syrian rebel factions along the Golan frontier, but a new report from UN Observer forces provides more detail than previous available on the ties Israel is cultivating with them.
Included in the report are Israel letting rebels through the border to receive medical treatment inside Israel, something which has been well publicized. It goes well beyond that, however.
The report also details observers seeing Israeli troops handing mysterious boxes to armed Syrian rebels across the border. It is unclear what equipment was inside the boxes.
They also reported a series of tents being set up at the border between Syrian and Israeli Golan territory for the rebels, which the UN believes was primarily to house the families of Syrian military deserters, but which Syria has complained is being used as a base to transfer fighters back and forth into Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018
- Bombing Kills 22 at Afghanistan Election Rally - October 14th, 2018
- Israel to Expand Settlement in Hebron, First Time in 16 Years - October 14th, 2018
- Syria's Al-Qaeda Will Accept Idlib Deal - October 14th, 2018
- South Korea President: North Korea Leader Sincere, Should Be Rewarded - October 14th, 2018