It’s not entirely a secret, since at times Israeli officials loudly brag about their close ties with Syrian rebel factions along the Golan frontier, but a new report from UN Observer forces provides more detail than previous available on the ties Israel is cultivating with them.
Included in the report are Israel letting rebels through the border to receive medical treatment inside Israel, something which has been well publicized. It goes well beyond that, however.
The report also details observers seeing Israeli troops handing mysterious boxes to armed Syrian rebels across the border. It is unclear what equipment was inside the boxes.
They also reported a series of tents being set up at the border between Syrian and Israeli Golan territory for the rebels, which the UN believes was primarily to house the families of Syrian military deserters, but which Syria has complained is being used as a base to transfer fighters back and forth into Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Europe to Resist US Sanctions on Firms That Do Business With Cuba - April 18th, 2019
- France Denies Their Weapons Were Used Against Civilians in Yemen - April 18th, 2019
- SecDef: North Korea Weapons Test 'Not a Ballistic Missile' - April 18th, 2019
- US, Russia Derail UN Call for Libya Ceasefire - April 18th, 2019
- Qatar: Afghan Peace Talks Are Postponed Indefinitely - April 18th, 2019