Last week, US commandos took part in a failed rescue operation aimed at recovering an American journalist. Though US officials were previously reluctant, they are now disclosing more about the operation.
The White House says they had “reliable intelligence” about the location of Luke Somers, and immediately authorized the Pentagon to send troops to try to rescue him. They didn’t find him, however.
They rescued some other people, but they also stirred up al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) about Somers, and they have released a new video promising to kill him by the end of the week.
AQAP was holding Somers for ransom and still seem to be keen to get that ransom, but warned that after the “foolish action” taken against them, their patience is wearing thin. Somers appears healthy in the video, despite being held since September of 2013.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Wants High-Profile Meeting With Putin at G20 Summit - June 26th, 2017
- House Spending Bill Threatens to Suspend Nuclear Treaty With Russia - June 26th, 2017
- Bahrain Accuses Qatar of Seeking 'Military Escalation' - June 26th, 2017
- White House Appears to Be Planning Attack on Assad - June 26th, 2017
- Top Senator Blocks Gulf Arms Sales Over Qatar Crisis - June 26th, 2017