Remember how for a couple of months during the Ukrainian protester regime change all anyone in NATO wanted to talk about was a Russian invasion of Europe? NATO sure does.
US Army Europe commander Lt. Gen. Frederick Hodges today announced a plan to send another 100 US tanks and Bradley AFVs to Lithuania, nominally to counter “Russian aggression.”
Even Lt. Gen. Hodges conceded that he doesn’t expect Russia to attack Lithuania, or anyone else for that matter, but that not sending tanks to counter the invasion that’s not coming would “create ambiguity” among NATO allies.
Several NATO nations in Eastern Europe have been trying to use the Ukraine situation as an excuse to get military deployments from Western Europe and the US, primarily for the financial gain. The move announced by Hodges suggests the US is still very much on board for wasteful deployments, if only for appearance’s sake.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018