Remember how for a couple of months during the Ukrainian protester regime change all anyone in NATO wanted to talk about was a Russian invasion of Europe? NATO sure does.
US Army Europe commander Lt. Gen. Frederick Hodges today announced a plan to send another 100 US tanks and Bradley AFVs to Lithuania, nominally to counter “Russian aggression.”
Even Lt. Gen. Hodges conceded that he doesn’t expect Russia to attack Lithuania, or anyone else for that matter, but that not sending tanks to counter the invasion that’s not coming would “create ambiguity” among NATO allies.
Several NATO nations in Eastern Europe have been trying to use the Ukraine situation as an excuse to get military deployments from Western Europe and the US, primarily for the financial gain. The move announced by Hodges suggests the US is still very much on board for wasteful deployments, if only for appearance’s sake.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018
- Trump Gives Saudi Arabia Benefit of Doubt in Journalist's Disappearance - October 16th, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 60 Alleged al-Shabaab Fighters in Somalia, Officials Say - October 16th, 2018
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018