Locals are still assessing the damage from a massive multiple bombing attack against a mosque in the northern Nigeria city of Kano today, but over 200 people are believed to be dead in the incident, with scores of others wounded.
Several bomb blasts tore through the mosque, and gunfire was also reported, with many casualties in the courtyard, where locals were gathered for prayers.
Attacks across northern Nigeria are increasingly common, though today’s was one of the largest by far, and only adds to the sense that the Nigerian government doesn’t have the situation handled.
Protests broke out in Kano after today’s attack, both complaining about the bombing and about the police, who they say are simply lax with security for allowing such major, multi-attacker incidents to keep happening.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles to Find Destinations for ISIS Detainees in Syria - July 18th, 2018
- Syrian Rebel City of Nawa Surrenders After Intense Airstrikes - July 18th, 2018
- Trump: Russia Doesn't Pose a Threat to US - July 18th, 2018
- Russia Urges UN to Mull Easing North Korea Sanctions Amid Diplomatic Progress - July 18th, 2018
- Israel Approves Jewish Nation-State Law in Narrow Vote - July 18th, 2018