Locals are still assessing the damage from a massive multiple bombing attack against a mosque in the northern Nigeria city of Kano today, but over 200 people are believed to be dead in the incident, with scores of others wounded.
Several bomb blasts tore through the mosque, and gunfire was also reported, with many casualties in the courtyard, where locals were gathered for prayers.
Attacks across northern Nigeria are increasingly common, though today’s was one of the largest by far, and only adds to the sense that the Nigerian government doesn’t have the situation handled.
Protests broke out in Kano after today’s attack, both complaining about the bombing and about the police, who they say are simply lax with security for allowing such major, multi-attacker incidents to keep happening.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: North Korea Will Release Three Detained Americans - March 18th, 2018
- White House Assembling a Team for Upcoming North Korea Summit - March 16th, 2018
- US Shifts Toward Harsher Stance on Russia With Sanctions and Condemnation - March 16th, 2018
- Putin Furious After Britain Says He Ordered Attack - March 16th, 2018
- Cluster Bombs Reportedly Dropped on Syria's Eastern Ghouta - March 16th, 2018