Locals are still assessing the damage from a massive multiple bombing attack against a mosque in the northern Nigeria city of Kano today, but over 200 people are believed to be dead in the incident, with scores of others wounded.
Several bomb blasts tore through the mosque, and gunfire was also reported, with many casualties in the courtyard, where locals were gathered for prayers.
Attacks across northern Nigeria are increasingly common, though today’s was one of the largest by far, and only adds to the sense that the Nigerian government doesn’t have the situation handled.
Protests broke out in Kano after today’s attack, both complaining about the bombing and about the police, who they say are simply lax with security for allowing such major, multi-attacker incidents to keep happening.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- NATO Warns Russian Missile Might Violate Missile Treaty - December 15th, 2017
- US Allegations of Iran Missiles in Yemen Met With Skepticism - December 15th, 2017
- Mattis: North Korean Missiles Not a 'Capable Threat' Against US - December 15th, 2017
- Israeli Troops Kill Four Palestinians, Wound 160 at Friday Protests - December 15th, 2017
- Trump Allies: Tillerson Hasn't Learned His Lesson - December 15th, 2017