The Obama Administration is preparing to unveil a massive new military aid package for Ukraine in the days to come, with officials saying it will include a number of armored Humvees.
Even though the Humvees can be used in offensive operations, the package is being referred to as a “non-lethal aid” package, which just means it doesn’t include any guns or ammunition.
That won’t sit well with the Ukrainian government, which has been pushing the US for major shipments of arms to help them crush the ethnic Russian rebels that currently control the nation’s far east.
There is a tenuous ceasefire with the eastern rebels right now, though about 1,000 people have been slain in the east since then. The US has not been particularly keen on that ceasefire in the first place, and to the extent that the shipments are putting more strain on it, they’re likely comfortable with that.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Separatists Attack Iran Military Parade in Ahvaz, Killing at Least 29 - September 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Delegation Continues to Try to Explain Downing of Russian Plane in Syria - September 21st, 2018
- German Companies Continue to Withdraw From Iran - September 21st, 2018
- As Afghan Military Deaths Soar, Officials Struggle to Keep Toll Secret - September 21st, 2018
- Afghan Officials Will Meet Taliban in Moscow - September 21st, 2018