The Obama Administration is preparing to unveil a massive new military aid package for Ukraine in the days to come, with officials saying it will include a number of armored Humvees.
Even though the Humvees can be used in offensive operations, the package is being referred to as a “non-lethal aid” package, which just means it doesn’t include any guns or ammunition.
That won’t sit well with the Ukrainian government, which has been pushing the US for major shipments of arms to help them crush the ethnic Russian rebels that currently control the nation’s far east.
There is a tenuous ceasefire with the eastern rebels right now, though about 1,000 people have been slain in the east since then. The US has not been particularly keen on that ceasefire in the first place, and to the extent that the shipments are putting more strain on it, they’re likely comfortable with that.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Expands Afghan Base to Accommodate Ongoing Surge - December 17th, 2018
- Taliban Meets US Officials in United Arab Emirates - December 17th, 2018
- US Accepts Assad Staying in Syria -- But Won't Give Aid - December 17th, 2018
- Turkish FM: US Working on Extraditing Gulen - December 17th, 2018
- Erdogan: Trump Expressed Support for Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds - December 17th, 2018