Residents of the rebel capital of Donetsk reported heavy shelling in several parts of the city today, as Ukraine’s military picked up the pace of attacks in anticipation of a collapse of the ceasefire.
The Ukrainian government has been predicting an imminent collapse of the ceasefire for weeks now, and says they believe the ethnic Russian rebels are preparing for a new offensive against them.
The prediction comes amid Ukrainian claims of a Russian invasion, though there is still no concrete evidence of the Russian military being present, and to the extent that fighting is testing the ceasefire, it’s still the same shelling in Donetsk that it’s been for weeks.
Western officials, for their part, didn’t provide any additional evidence to back up any of Ukraine’s predictions, but did use the G20 summit as a chance to rail at Russia for a putative invasion that seems to be largely made up.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas, Haley Trade Barbs Over Peace Process at UN Security Council - February 20th, 2018
- 29 Killed in Afghanistan Attacks - February 20th, 2018
- Russia Confirms Several Dozen Citizens Killed in US Strike - February 20th, 2018
- Syrian Pro-Govt Forces Enter Afrin, Are Attacked by Turkish Military - February 20th, 2018
- Pentagon Wants Extra Time to Spend Massive Cash Influx - February 20th, 2018