Residents of the rebel capital of Donetsk reported heavy shelling in several parts of the city today, as Ukraine’s military picked up the pace of attacks in anticipation of a collapse of the ceasefire.
The Ukrainian government has been predicting an imminent collapse of the ceasefire for weeks now, and says they believe the ethnic Russian rebels are preparing for a new offensive against them.
The prediction comes amid Ukrainian claims of a Russian invasion, though there is still no concrete evidence of the Russian military being present, and to the extent that fighting is testing the ceasefire, it’s still the same shelling in Donetsk that it’s been for weeks.
Western officials, for their part, didn’t provide any additional evidence to back up any of Ukraine’s predictions, but did use the G20 summit as a chance to rail at Russia for a putative invasion that seems to be largely made up.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Despite Assurances, Legality of Trump Nuclear Strike May Not Matter - November 22nd, 2017
- Israeli Forces Demolish Brand New Family Home in East Jerusalem - November 22nd, 2017
- East Ukraine in Turmoil Amid Claimed 'Coup' in Luhansk - November 22nd, 2017
- US Asked for Saudis to Ease Yemen Blockade - November 22nd, 2017
- Local Afghan Leaders Protest Deadly US Strikes on 'Heroin Labs' - November 22nd, 2017