Despite spending several times more on its military than anyone else, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel believes the US military advantage is not nearly overwhelming enough, and warns Russia and/or China are both gaining on them.
Hagel insists that what the US really needs is some sort of new game-changing military technology that will ensure that the Pentagon “overmatches” the other nations for decades to come.
That, like most of Hagel’s policies, means a push for dramatically more funding, just in this case that the money will be thrown at “innovation” in general, long term spending plans for speculative technologies.
In the past few years, such spending had actually been cut back in favor of more direct funding for the military in general, as many of the “innovation” programs had turned into bottomless sinkholes that just ate money and produced nothing.
Hagel is keen to return to those days, with the hope that sooner or later they’ll come up with something really powerful. In his press release, he expressed hopes that this would involve either 3D printing or robots, or potentially some combination thereof.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza After Border Bombing - February 18th, 2018
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018