Not only is the ink not dry on the P5+1 nuclear agreement with Iran, but the agreement hasn’t even been reached yet. Still, that’s not stopping Congressional hawks from planning on how to kill it.
Sens. Robert Menendez (D – NJ) and Mark Kirk (R – IL), long-time opponents of the nuclear negotiations, are promising to kill any deal that they find “unacceptable,” which by all indications means any deal at all.
They’ll be doing this by imposing new rounds of sanctions designed to explicitly violate the terms of the signed agreement, once the agreement is signed. The deal is expected to limit Iran’s civilian nuclear program in return for a reduction of sanctions.
Congressional hawks have been talking about sabotaging the negotiations themselves in this manner for over a year now, but with more hawks incoming after the mid-term vote, it will be much easier to push through such votes without risking an Obama veto.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran Says US Already Failing to Abide by Nuclear Deal, Wants Banks to Do Business - February 22nd, 2018
- Trump Administration Says 2001 AUMF Authorizes Endless Iraq, Syria Presence - February 22nd, 2018
- Most of the Missing Nigerian Girls Found After Boko Haram Attack - February 21st, 2018
- Iraqi Ambassador Slams Turkish 'Invaders' on Iraqi Soil - February 21st, 2018
- Trump Plan Seeks Major Boost to Already Record Arms Sales - February 21st, 2018