Not only is the ink not dry on the P5+1 nuclear agreement with Iran, but the agreement hasn’t even been reached yet. Still, that’s not stopping Congressional hawks from planning on how to kill it.
Sens. Robert Menendez (D – NJ) and Mark Kirk (R – IL), long-time opponents of the nuclear negotiations, are promising to kill any deal that they find “unacceptable,” which by all indications means any deal at all.
They’ll be doing this by imposing new rounds of sanctions designed to explicitly violate the terms of the signed agreement, once the agreement is signed. The deal is expected to limit Iran’s civilian nuclear program in return for a reduction of sanctions.
Congressional hawks have been talking about sabotaging the negotiations themselves in this manner for over a year now, but with more hawks incoming after the mid-term vote, it will be much easier to push through such votes without risking an Obama veto.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017