Tensions are on the rise between Ukraine and the eastern rebels again, with the city of Donetsk, the de facto rebel capital, seeing the worst shelling its had in over a month as Ukrainian military forces move into the area.
Not that the Ukrainian military were the only ones fighting. The rebels were quick to start shelling the airport on the outskirts of down, which lies in ruins, but still in government hands.
Over a month into the ceasefire, what fighting there’s been has been in Donetsk, though whether this latest escalation actually means a resumption of the war or not yet remains to be seen. The Ukrainian military sent additional troops into the area after the easterners held a vote they objected to.
The White House blasted the rebel moves against the airport as a “blatant violation of the Minsk agreements,” but was mum on the government shelling of Donetsk itself.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Kurdish Commander: Anti-ISIS Offensive Slowed by Presence of Civilians - February 15th, 2019
- US Military Aircraft to Deliver Aid to Venezuela's Border - February 15th, 2019
- US Expected to Pull 1,000 Troops From Afghanistan in 'Efficiency Effort' - February 15th, 2019
- US Investigators Probing Years of WikiLeaks Activities - February 15th, 2019
- US General Says Arming, Aiding Syria Kurds Should Continue After Pullout - February 15th, 2019