Tensions are on the rise between Ukraine and the eastern rebels again, with the city of Donetsk, the de facto rebel capital, seeing the worst shelling its had in over a month as Ukrainian military forces move into the area.
Not that the Ukrainian military were the only ones fighting. The rebels were quick to start shelling the airport on the outskirts of down, which lies in ruins, but still in government hands.
Over a month into the ceasefire, what fighting there’s been has been in Donetsk, though whether this latest escalation actually means a resumption of the war or not yet remains to be seen. The Ukrainian military sent additional troops into the area after the easterners held a vote they objected to.
The White House blasted the rebel moves against the airport as a “blatant violation of the Minsk agreements,” but was mum on the government shelling of Donetsk itself.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017