Overnight, warplanes from the US-led coalition attacked a rebel base belonging to the Islamic Front, the moderate Islamist faction in the anti-Assad rebellion, near a northwestern border crossing between Syria and Turkey.
The attacks hit not only the base but the surrounding countryside in Idlib Province, killing a number of civilians, including an unspecified number of children.
The Pentagon has insisted that its restrictions on airstrikes designed to limit civil deaths do not apply in Syria and Iraq as open combat zones, and a growing number of incidents of civilian deaths have been reported
This is also the first time the coalition is confirmed to have attacked an Islamic Front target, meaning they are not only targeting ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra, but also some of the more moderate factions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Pakistan to Be Added to Terror Financing List - February 23rd, 2018
- State Dept: US to Open Israel's Jerusalem Embassy in May - February 23rd, 2018
- Pentagon Looks for Another Job for McMaster, Possibly Afghanistan - February 22nd, 2018
- Russia Blocks UN Ceasefire Call on Eastern Ghouta Over Islamists' Inclusion - February 22nd, 2018
- Aid Group Faults Saudi 'Aid' Plan for Yemen as War Tactic - February 22nd, 2018