Overnight, warplanes from the US-led coalition attacked a rebel base belonging to the Islamic Front, the moderate Islamist faction in the anti-Assad rebellion, near a northwestern border crossing between Syria and Turkey.
The attacks hit not only the base but the surrounding countryside in Idlib Province, killing a number of civilians, including an unspecified number of children.
The Pentagon has insisted that its restrictions on airstrikes designed to limit civil deaths do not apply in Syria and Iraq as open combat zones, and a growing number of incidents of civilian deaths have been reported
This is also the first time the coalition is confirmed to have attacked an Islamic Front target, meaning they are not only targeting ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra, but also some of the more moderate factions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017
- North Korea Sees Planned US-South Korea Wargames as 'Catastrophe' - August 18th, 2017