US Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power insists that the ever-escalating US war with ISIS has not changed their underlying plans to see Syrian President Bashar Assad ousted.
“The moderate Syrian opposition provides the best alternative to the Assad regime and the best counterweight to ISIS,” Power added. Absent in the comments is that the “moderate Syrian opposition” has no territory and is openly fighting alongside ISIS.
Power went further in the false narrative, claiming the rebels “engaged in pitched battles against ISIS since December,” which appears to be a reference to the failed attempts to take ISIS territory in Aleppo Province earlier this year, which ended in a nonaggression pact.
Power’s comments reflect and ever-mounting series of US goals in the region, as their own military forces ramp up in the area. Between the plans to destroy ISIS, the war on al-Nusra, and the regime change goal against Assad, the US seems to be planning decades of conflict.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018