US Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power insists that the ever-escalating US war with ISIS has not changed their underlying plans to see Syrian President Bashar Assad ousted.
“The moderate Syrian opposition provides the best alternative to the Assad regime and the best counterweight to ISIS,” Power added. Absent in the comments is that the “moderate Syrian opposition” has no territory and is openly fighting alongside ISIS.
Power went further in the false narrative, claiming the rebels “engaged in pitched battles against ISIS since December,” which appears to be a reference to the failed attempts to take ISIS territory in Aleppo Province earlier this year, which ended in a nonaggression pact.
Power’s comments reflect and ever-mounting series of US goals in the region, as their own military forces ramp up in the area. Between the plans to destroy ISIS, the war on al-Nusra, and the regime change goal against Assad, the US seems to be planning decades of conflict.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018