Algerian jihadist group Jund al-Khalaifah (soldiers of the Caliphate) has beheaded 55-year-old French hostage Herve Gourdel in a new video released today.
Jund al-Khalaifah kidnapped Gourdel, a mountaineering guide, over the weekend, and had demanded the French government withdraw from the US-led war against ISIS in Syria and Iraq within 24 hours. The French refused, and Gourdel was executed, in what the group called a “message of blood for the French government.”
This way just be the first in a series of killings by other Islamist factions over the ISIS war, with Abu Sayyaf, in the Philippines, threatening to kill two German hostages if the German government doesn’t end its support to the US war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkish Airstrikes Kill 35 Kurdish PKK in Northern Iraq - June 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Offers Extension as Ramadan Ceasefire Expires - June 17th, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Strike Airport in Yemen's Hodeidah - June 17th, 2018
- ISIS Suicide Bombers Kill 54 in Two Days in Eastern Afghanistan - June 17th, 2018
- US Denies Attacking Syrian Military Site Near Iraqi Border - June 17th, 2018