Algerian jihadist group Jund al-Khalaifah (soldiers of the Caliphate) has beheaded 55-year-old French hostage Herve Gourdel in a new video released today.
Jund al-Khalaifah kidnapped Gourdel, a mountaineering guide, over the weekend, and had demanded the French government withdraw from the US-led war against ISIS in Syria and Iraq within 24 hours. The French refused, and Gourdel was executed, in what the group called a “message of blood for the French government.”
This way just be the first in a series of killings by other Islamist factions over the ISIS war, with Abu Sayyaf, in the Philippines, threatening to kill two German hostages if the German government doesn’t end its support to the US war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu Tells UN Chief That Golan Is Forever Israel's - February 16th, 2018
- Netanyahu Blocks West Bank Annexation, But Backs Taking More Control - February 16th, 2018
- Pentagon Watchdog: No Significant Progress Made in Afghanistan - February 16th, 2018
- Turkish Army Accused of Hitting Syria's Afrin With Gas Attack - February 16th, 2018
- US, Turkey Agree to Avoid Clash Over Manbij - February 16th, 2018