Algerian jihadist group Jund al-Khalaifah (soldiers of the Caliphate) has beheaded 55-year-old French hostage Herve Gourdel in a new video released today.
Jund al-Khalaifah kidnapped Gourdel, a mountaineering guide, over the weekend, and had demanded the French government withdraw from the US-led war against ISIS in Syria and Iraq within 24 hours. The French refused, and Gourdel was executed, in what the group called a “message of blood for the French government.”
This way just be the first in a series of killings by other Islamist factions over the ISIS war, with Abu Sayyaf, in the Philippines, threatening to kill two German hostages if the German government doesn’t end its support to the US war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea 'Threat' to Guam Greatly Overblown - August 15th, 2017
- South Korean President Says He Can Veto War Against North Korea - August 15th, 2017
- ICC Issues Warrant for Ally of Libyan Gen. Hafter for War Crimes - August 15th, 2017
- Taliban Open Letter Urges Trump to Withdraw US Troops From Afghanistan - August 15th, 2017
- Iran Threatens to Quit Nuclear Deal If US Keeps Adding Sanctions - August 15th, 2017