Algerian jihadist group Jund al-Khalaifah (soldiers of the Caliphate) has beheaded 55-year-old French hostage Herve Gourdel in a new video released today.
Jund al-Khalaifah kidnapped Gourdel, a mountaineering guide, over the weekend, and had demanded the French government withdraw from the US-led war against ISIS in Syria and Iraq within 24 hours. The French refused, and Gourdel was executed, in what the group called a “message of blood for the French government.”
This way just be the first in a series of killings by other Islamist factions over the ISIS war, with Abu Sayyaf, in the Philippines, threatening to kill two German hostages if the German government doesn’t end its support to the US war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel-Hamas Ceasefire Talks Halt Amid PA Threats - September 23rd, 2018
- China Cancels US Military Talks to Protest Sanctions - September 23rd, 2018
- US Airstrike Kills 18 in Southern Somalia - September 23rd, 2018
- Syrian Observatory: US-Led Coalition Killed 3,300 Civilians in Four Years - September 23rd, 2018
- Jihadist Group Rejects Turkey-Russia Deal on Syria's Idlib - September 23rd, 2018