A US soldier was reported killed Monday in the Western Afghanistan city of Herat, slain in a “green-on-blue” attack by an unidentified Afghan soldier during training.
The soldier’s motivations are unknown at this time, but he was said to have thrown a hand grenade at his trainers, and the US soldier was slain. Two other people, including an interpreter, were wounded in the incident.
The soldier is believed not to have any ties to the Taliban, but rather had some sort of “psychological problems.” Pentagon officials promised investigations into the incident.
Though the number of “green-on-blue” attacks has declined as NATO occupation forces have less contact with the Afghan military, the number of insider attacks, including green-on-green attacks among Afghan troops, continues to rise.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018