Faced with growing unease among the rank-and-file of both parties, the House Republican bill giving President Obama authority to arm and train “moderate” Syrian rebels includes several limits the administration did not expect.
The bill will insist the Pentagon keep Congress updated on the situation every 90 days, including both details on the training operations and a list of every rebel they are training along with their background information.
Hawks are warning the demand for names could make it harder for the US to recruit people, though perhaps the even bigger problem facing the administration is a demand for regular reports on what happened to equipment provided to them.
The Obama Administration has been arming the “vetted moderate” rebels for quite some time, and the evidence suggests that large amounts of the arms provided are showing up in the hands of ISIS.
This shouldn’t be surprising, since the commanders openly admit to be allied with ISIS, and just got done signing a non-aggression pact aimed at keeping both sides focusing on the rebellion against Assad.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017