The Obama Administration and the European Union both followed through on threatened sanctions against Russia today, nominally over the Ukraine war, but brought into effect in spite of a Russia-brokered ceasefire continuing to hold there.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said it had not wanted to launch the new sanctions, but that the “confrontational” attitude of the US had forced its hand, and that “retaliatory measures will not keep you waiting.”
The Obama Administration is demanding that Russia forcibly disarm the ethnic Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine, unilaterally withdraw from the Crimean Peninsula, and also create a “buffer zone” out of its own territory along the border with Ukraine.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Militia Chief Wants Fighters Placed Under National Army - December 14th, 2017
- US Troops, Syrian Rebels Battle ISIS Near Key Base - December 14th, 2017
- US Will Preposition Jet Fuel in Algeria, Niger to Expand Drone Wars - December 14th, 2017
- US Warplanes Fire Warning Flares at Russian Jets Over Syria - December 14th, 2017
- Iran: US Presentation of Iranian Arms in Yemen Fabricated - December 14th, 2017