The Obama Administration and the European Union both followed through on threatened sanctions against Russia today, nominally over the Ukraine war, but brought into effect in spite of a Russia-brokered ceasefire continuing to hold there.
The Russian Foreign Ministry said it had not wanted to launch the new sanctions, but that the “confrontational” attitude of the US had forced its hand, and that “retaliatory measures will not keep you waiting.”
The Obama Administration is demanding that Russia forcibly disarm the ethnic Russian rebels in eastern Ukraine, unilaterally withdraw from the Crimean Peninsula, and also create a “buffer zone” out of its own territory along the border with Ukraine.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018