In a move which could’ve caused a much larger civilian toll than it ultimately did, Israeli warplanes attacked the Rafah Border Crossing today, hitting a departure hall full of hundreds of civilians trying to cross into Egypt. Fortunately, the attacks did not collapse the hall.
Israel offered no explanation for the attack, which wounded only a handful of civilians, and the crossing has continued to function in spite of the damage done by the airstrikes.
The current death toll in the Israeli war on Gaza stands at 2,128 Gazans killed, overwhelmingly civilians and over 500 of them children. On the Israeli side, 68 were killed, 64 of them Israeli soldiers.
Though there was talk today of a new ceasefire, so far Israel has not made any decision on whether or not to accept the proposal, and seems to be continuing its attacks without a serious consideration of what happens next.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israel Announces Plans for Massive Military Spending Hikes - August 16th, 2018
- Iraq Carries Out Airstrike Against ISIS 'Operations Room' in Syria - August 16th, 2018
- Senators to Resist Trump Plans to Cut Foreign Aid - August 16th, 2018
- As Costs Rise, Pentagon Announces Military Parade Postponed - August 16th, 2018
- US Threatens Further Turkey Sanctions if Pastor Not Freed Soon - August 16th, 2018