Israeli officials are inconsolable and vowing dramatic escalation of the Gaza war today following the death of four-year-old Daniel Tregerman in mortar fire from the strip.
“We are intensifying our attacks, preparing for possible ground action,” noted Brig. Gen. Motti Almoz. Israel ended its previous invasion of Gaza just over a week ago, but with peace talks faltering seems to be looking for a way back in.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the attacks to intensify, and said that Hamas would “pay a heavy price” for the death of the child, which brings the overall Israeli toll to 68, 4 of them civilians, and Tregerman the first child.
On the Gaza side, Israel’s attacks today brought the death toll in excess of 2,100, with the vast majority of them civilians and roughly 500 of them children under the age of 18.
Israel appeared to be moving toward a new ground invasion before the latest death, calling up 10,000 more reservists yesterday to keep large numbers of troops along the Gaza border in anticipation of a new ground operation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Claims ISIS 'Rebuilding' in Syria as Turkey Invasion Distracts From Fight - March 19th, 2018
- Turkey's Erdogan Vows Wider Offensive Against US-Backed Syrian Kurds - March 19th, 2018
- Russia Demands British Apology as EU, NATO Express Solidarity With Britain - March 19th, 2018
- Trump, Kim Summit Likely to Be Held in DMZ Village - March 19th, 2018
- Afghan Special Forces Slaughter Farmers in Chaotic Errant Attack - March 19th, 2018