Israeli officials are inconsolable and vowing dramatic escalation of the Gaza war today following the death of four-year-old Daniel Tregerman in mortar fire from the strip.
“We are intensifying our attacks, preparing for possible ground action,” noted Brig. Gen. Motti Almoz. Israel ended its previous invasion of Gaza just over a week ago, but with peace talks faltering seems to be looking for a way back in.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered the attacks to intensify, and said that Hamas would “pay a heavy price” for the death of the child, which brings the overall Israeli toll to 68, 4 of them civilians, and Tregerman the first child.
On the Gaza side, Israel’s attacks today brought the death toll in excess of 2,100, with the vast majority of them civilians and roughly 500 of them children under the age of 18.
Israel appeared to be moving toward a new ground invasion before the latest death, calling up 10,000 more reservists yesterday to keep large numbers of troops along the Gaza border in anticipation of a new ground operation.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018