US officials have been keen to build up the threat of ISIS to ever broader, ever more hysterical levels. Sen. James Inhofe (R – OK) even claimed they’re close to coming up with some secret way to wipe out an entire major US city.
The honest assessments aren’t nearly so alarmist, with the FBI conceding in a bulletin issued to local law enforcement today that there is no specific or credible threat of an ISIS terror attack on the US.
That report was only meant to go to law enforcement, and not to the public, which they’re still trying to scare into supporting an ever-growing war in Iraq. The FBI’s public statement for today was about how ISIS is using Facebook to recruit.
Everyone’s looking to parlay the ISIS scaremongering to their respective agendas, with Gov. Rick Perry (R – TX) claiming ISIS might have snuck across the border from Mexico. The Pentagon said there was no evidence of anything like that actually happening.
There is a growing disconnect between the actual threat, and the narrative on exactly how scared we’re supposed to be at any given time.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea: Up to US If Summit Will Happen, Or Nuclear Showdown - May 23rd, 2018
- Pentagon Uninvites China From Joint Naval Exercises - May 23rd, 2018
- Iran Sets Out Conditions for Europe to Save Nuclear Deal - May 23rd, 2018
- Iranian Officials Split on Responding to US Demands - May 23rd, 2018
- Israel Considers Long-Term Ceasefire With Hamas - May 23rd, 2018