With signs the ongoing Israeli war on the Gaza Strip is again escalating, the Israeli government has ordered the mobilization of another 10,000 reservists, bringing the number called up so far during the war to 96,000.
Israeli military officials say that the 10,000 will replace other reservists who are being temporarily sent home for rest, which also suggests that they are planning the war to be long enough they have to do troop rotations.
Reservists have by and large been deployed into the occupied West Bank, to replace the soldiers there who have been involved in the Gaza invasion. Other reservists have been sent to the area around Gaza to guard border positions.
Israel reported “more than 300” rockets fired out of Gaza since Tuesday, injuring one Israeli. They have launched scores of airstrikes over that period against the strip, killing over 60 Palestinians, mostly civilians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017