One of several overnight Israeli airstrikes actually managed to kill its intended targets, three members of Hamas’s Qassam Brigades military council, who were killed in a house in Rafah.
The three were identified as Mohammed Shamal, Raed Attar, and Mohammed Barhoum. They are the only identified victims of 30 killed by Israeli attacks on Thursday, though several have been confirmed as civilians, killed in an attack on a cemetery, and some reported an unnamed Islamic Jihad official slain.
Hamas vowed revenge for the killings, while Israeli officials bragged about the “psychological” impact the attacks would have on Hamas leadership going forward, knowing that they are primary targets.
Former Israeli military intelligence chief Amos Yadlin downplayed the importance of such attacks, saying that targeted assassinations were not the “silver bullet” current officials are making them out to be.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Seeks to Cut Kurdistan Off From World Ahead of Referendum - September 24th, 2017
- Kurdish President Barzani Says Partnership With Iraq Is Over - September 24th, 2017
- Yemen's Hadi Sees Only a Military Solution to Ongoing War - September 24th, 2017
- Trump's First Airstrikes on Libya Kill 17 - September 24th, 2017
- Spanish National Police Aim to Seize Control of Catalonia - September 23rd, 2017