One of several overnight Israeli airstrikes actually managed to kill its intended targets, three members of Hamas’s Qassam Brigades military council, who were killed in a house in Rafah.
The three were identified as Mohammed Shamal, Raed Attar, and Mohammed Barhoum. They are the only identified victims of 30 killed by Israeli attacks on Thursday, though several have been confirmed as civilians, killed in an attack on a cemetery, and some reported an unnamed Islamic Jihad official slain.
Hamas vowed revenge for the killings, while Israeli officials bragged about the “psychological” impact the attacks would have on Hamas leadership going forward, knowing that they are primary targets.
Former Israeli military intelligence chief Amos Yadlin downplayed the importance of such attacks, saying that targeted assassinations were not the “silver bullet” current officials are making them out to be.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Furious Trump Threatens Iranian President Will 'Suffer Consequences' - July 22nd, 2018
- Ceasefire Allows Thousands of Yemenis to Flee Port City of Hodeidah - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Evacuates Hundreds of White Helmets From Syria Into Jordan - July 22nd, 2018
- US Launches Campaign to Undermine Support for Iran's Leaders - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Offers to Reopen Gaza Crossing on Tuesday If Ceasefire Holds - July 22nd, 2018