One of several overnight Israeli airstrikes actually managed to kill its intended targets, three members of Hamas’s Qassam Brigades military council, who were killed in a house in Rafah.
The three were identified as Mohammed Shamal, Raed Attar, and Mohammed Barhoum. They are the only identified victims of 30 killed by Israeli attacks on Thursday, though several have been confirmed as civilians, killed in an attack on a cemetery, and some reported an unnamed Islamic Jihad official slain.
Hamas vowed revenge for the killings, while Israeli officials bragged about the “psychological” impact the attacks would have on Hamas leadership going forward, knowing that they are primary targets.
Former Israeli military intelligence chief Amos Yadlin downplayed the importance of such attacks, saying that targeted assassinations were not the “silver bullet” current officials are making them out to be.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Car Bombing Kills at Least 20 in Eastern Syria - November 17th, 2017
- Six Children Among 19 Civilians Killed in Shelling Near Damascus - November 17th, 2017
- Report: Lebanese PM Leaves Saudi Arabia for France - November 17th, 2017
- Erdogan: Syria's Afrin District Must Be Cleansed of Kurdish Forces - November 17th, 2017
- Pentagon: ISIS 'Defeated' But US Will Stay in Syria - November 17th, 2017