Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza Strip Again
The Gaza ceasefire is now reportedly over, with Israeli warplanes and artillery hammering the strip this evening after some rockets landed in an empty region along the border. Israel has also withdrawn their negotiators from Cairo.
The chance for Israel to withdraw over claims of rocket fire is particularly opportune, as only yesterday it was reported the security cabinet was going to reject the Cairo truce. Now, Israel never has to officially have that vote.
The Palestinian delegation is remaining, and is trying to put forward its rock-bottom, all-in “final proposal” tonight, though whether Israel will even respond remains entirely unclear.
The indications so far are that the new round of violence is not escalating dramatically, with Israel not really looking to build up the war again, but to keep it going just enough to avoid the discomfort of being involved in peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Centcom Report Claims Only 14 Civilians Killed in US Strikes Over Past Year - July 28th, 2016
- Syria's Nusra Front Says Cutting Ties With al-Qaeda To Avoid Attacks - July 28th, 2016
- 19 Killed as Local Forces Attack Army in Libya's Benghazi - July 28th, 2016
- US Spy Chief: Too Soon to Blame Russians for DNC Hack - July 28th, 2016
- US Agriculture Secretary: Trump's Russia Comments Could Be a Felony - July 28th, 2016