Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza Strip Again
The Gaza ceasefire is now reportedly over, with Israeli warplanes and artillery hammering the strip this evening after some rockets landed in an empty region along the border. Israel has also withdrawn their negotiators from Cairo.
The chance for Israel to withdraw over claims of rocket fire is particularly opportune, as only yesterday it was reported the security cabinet was going to reject the Cairo truce. Now, Israel never has to officially have that vote.
The Palestinian delegation is remaining, and is trying to put forward its rock-bottom, all-in “final proposal” tonight, though whether Israel will even respond remains entirely unclear.
The indications so far are that the new round of violence is not escalating dramatically, with Israel not really looking to build up the war again, but to keep it going just enough to avoid the discomfort of being involved in peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Turkey Says Russia Ties at Risk Over Ongoing Strikes on ISIS - October 6th, 2015
- Russia Seeks New, Broader Military Talks With US on Syria Strikes - October 6th, 2015
- Battle Over Kunduz Highlights Risk to Huge US Afghan Investments - October 6th, 2015
- Taliban Uses Hit-and-Run Tactics to Harass Afghan Troops in Kunduz - October 6th, 2015
- ISIS Kills 22, Including 15 Soldiers, In Yemen Attacks - October 6th, 2015