Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza Strip Again
The Gaza ceasefire is now reportedly over, with Israeli warplanes and artillery hammering the strip this evening after some rockets landed in an empty region along the border. Israel has also withdrawn their negotiators from Cairo.
The chance for Israel to withdraw over claims of rocket fire is particularly opportune, as only yesterday it was reported the security cabinet was going to reject the Cairo truce. Now, Israel never has to officially have that vote.
The Palestinian delegation is remaining, and is trying to put forward its rock-bottom, all-in “final proposal” tonight, though whether Israel will even respond remains entirely unclear.
The indications so far are that the new round of violence is not escalating dramatically, with Israel not really looking to build up the war again, but to keep it going just enough to avoid the discomfort of being involved in peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia's Gazprom Halts Ukraine Gas Shipments Over Lack of Payment - July 1st, 2015
- Turkey Ratchets Up Rhetoric on Syria's Kurds, Sets 'Red Lines' - July 1st, 2015
- Monitors: ISIS Forces Less Visible in Raqqa as Fighting Surges Elsewhere - July 1st, 2015
- Syrian Kurds Claim ISIS Thwarted in Tel Abyad - July 1st, 2015
- 18 Yemeni Civilians, 13 Fighters Killed as Houthis Fire on Aden Neighborhood - July 1st, 2015