Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza Strip Again
The Gaza ceasefire is now reportedly over, with Israeli warplanes and artillery hammering the strip this evening after some rockets landed in an empty region along the border. Israel has also withdrawn their negotiators from Cairo.
The chance for Israel to withdraw over claims of rocket fire is particularly opportune, as only yesterday it was reported the security cabinet was going to reject the Cairo truce. Now, Israel never has to officially have that vote.
The Palestinian delegation is remaining, and is trying to put forward its rock-bottom, all-in “final proposal” tonight, though whether Israel will even respond remains entirely unclear.
The indications so far are that the new round of violence is not escalating dramatically, with Israel not really looking to build up the war again, but to keep it going just enough to avoid the discomfort of being involved in peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia: West 'Not Ready' for Single Anti-ISIS Coalition - November 27th, 2015
- Erdogan: Russia 'Playing With Fire' in Attacking Syrian Rebels - November 27th, 2015
- Putin Asks France for Map of Syria's Anti-ISIS Rebels to Avoid Bombing Them - November 27th, 2015
- NSA Bulk Phone Surveillance 'Shuts Down'; To Be Replaced by Near-Identical Scheme - November 27th, 2015
- British Foreign Office Warns Saudi Arms Sales Risk War Crimes Prosecutions - November 27th, 2015