Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza Strip Again
The Gaza ceasefire is now reportedly over, with Israeli warplanes and artillery hammering the strip this evening after some rockets landed in an empty region along the border. Israel has also withdrawn their negotiators from Cairo.
The chance for Israel to withdraw over claims of rocket fire is particularly opportune, as only yesterday it was reported the security cabinet was going to reject the Cairo truce. Now, Israel never has to officially have that vote.
The Palestinian delegation is remaining, and is trying to put forward its rock-bottom, all-in “final proposal” tonight, though whether Israel will even respond remains entirely unclear.
The indications so far are that the new round of violence is not escalating dramatically, with Israel not really looking to build up the war again, but to keep it going just enough to avoid the discomfort of being involved in peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US: Too Soon to Say 'Mission Accomplished' in Kobani - January 27th, 2015
- Houthis Fault Southern Secessionists for Power-Sharing Impasse - January 27th, 2015
- Reports of Deal as Yemen's Houthi Rebels Call for Orderly Transfer of Power - January 27th, 2015
- US Drone Strike in Yemen Killed 12-Year-Old Student - January 27th, 2015
- Libyan ISIS Group Claims Credit for Tripoli Hotel Attack - January 27th, 2015