Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza Strip Again
The Gaza ceasefire is now reportedly over, with Israeli warplanes and artillery hammering the strip this evening after some rockets landed in an empty region along the border. Israel has also withdrawn their negotiators from Cairo.
The chance for Israel to withdraw over claims of rocket fire is particularly opportune, as only yesterday it was reported the security cabinet was going to reject the Cairo truce. Now, Israel never has to officially have that vote.
The Palestinian delegation is remaining, and is trying to put forward its rock-bottom, all-in “final proposal” tonight, though whether Israel will even respond remains entirely unclear.
The indications so far are that the new round of violence is not escalating dramatically, with Israel not really looking to build up the war again, but to keep it going just enough to avoid the discomfort of being involved in peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Tillerson: Sanctions on Russia Will Remain 'Until Crimea Is Returned' - April 24th, 2017
- US Airstrike Kills Family of Eight Fleeing Syria Fighting - April 24th, 2017
- 10 Off-Duty Iraqi Soldiers Killed in Anbar Ambush - April 24th, 2017
- US, Philippines Cancel War Games - April 24th, 2017
- UN: Torture by Government 'Widespread' in Afghanistan - April 24th, 2017