Israeli Warplanes Pound Gaza Strip Again
The Gaza ceasefire is now reportedly over, with Israeli warplanes and artillery hammering the strip this evening after some rockets landed in an empty region along the border. Israel has also withdrawn their negotiators from Cairo.
The chance for Israel to withdraw over claims of rocket fire is particularly opportune, as only yesterday it was reported the security cabinet was going to reject the Cairo truce. Now, Israel never has to officially have that vote.
The Palestinian delegation is remaining, and is trying to put forward its rock-bottom, all-in “final proposal” tonight, though whether Israel will even respond remains entirely unclear.
The indications so far are that the new round of violence is not escalating dramatically, with Israel not really looking to build up the war again, but to keep it going just enough to avoid the discomfort of being involved in peace talks.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Obama's Drone Report Omits Civilians Slain in Iraq, Afghanistan - January 19th, 2017
- Trump's Transition May Struggle as Officials Decline Request to Stay On - January 19th, 2017
- Iraqi General: Most ISIS Commanders in Mosul Already Dead - January 19th, 2017
- CIA Docs Reveal Agency's Longtime Obsession With UFOs, Magic - January 19th, 2017
- New CIA Docs Offer Torture Details, Show Internal Debate - January 19th, 2017