In comments today about the growing US war against ISIS, FBI Director James Comey conceded that he doesn’t have any real idea how many Americans have successfully joined ISIS, but he does know it’s an “urgent threat.”
How much over is not clear, as Comey says he doesn’t know if it’s 100-200, or 100-500, or even 100-1,000. Well over 1,000 ISIS fighters are known to have come from EU member nations, with large numbers from France.
Previously, the big concern with such rebels was that when the Syrian Civil War eventually ended, ISIS-linked fighters would return to the West with EU and US passports that gave them easy access to targets most jihadists just don’t have.
With the US now a direct participant in the war against ISIS, the blowback could come much sooner, and be much more serious as the US establishes itself as the primary antagonist to the ISIS state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni Forces Stop Houthis Attempt to Reopen Hodeidah Supply Route - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Threatens to Send Military to Close Border With Mexico - October 18th, 2018
- US Opposes Koreas' New No-Fly Zone Plans - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Bans US Aid Groups From North Korea - October 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018