In comments today about the growing US war against ISIS, FBI Director James Comey conceded that he doesn’t have any real idea how many Americans have successfully joined ISIS, but he does know it’s an “urgent threat.”
How much over is not clear, as Comey says he doesn’t know if it’s 100-200, or 100-500, or even 100-1,000. Well over 1,000 ISIS fighters are known to have come from EU member nations, with large numbers from France.
Previously, the big concern with such rebels was that when the Syrian Civil War eventually ended, ISIS-linked fighters would return to the West with EU and US passports that gave them easy access to targets most jihadists just don’t have.
With the US now a direct participant in the war against ISIS, the blowback could come much sooner, and be much more serious as the US establishes itself as the primary antagonist to the ISIS state.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- North Korea 'Threat' to Guam Greatly Overblown - August 15th, 2017
- South Korean President Says He Can Veto War Against North Korea - August 15th, 2017
- ICC Issues Warrant for Ally of Libyan Gen. Hafter for War Crimes - August 15th, 2017
- Taliban Open Letter Urges Trump to Withdraw US Troops From Afghanistan - August 15th, 2017
- Iran Threatens to Quit Nuclear Deal If US Keeps Adding Sanctions - August 15th, 2017