A NATO warplane has launched an airstrike against a civilian family in the Herat Province of western Afghanistan today, killing four of them, including one woman and another child.
No combatants were reported in the vicinity of the attack and it is at this point totally unclear why an airstrike was launched at all, let alone one that targeted a bunch of civilians on a pair of motorcycles.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai slammed the news of the killings, saying they proved NATO does not value the lives of Afghan civilians, and that the strike violated existing bilateral agreements.
NATO has yet to offer any explanation, beyond being “aware” of the reports of civilian deaths, and promising some sort of investigation into the matter. NATO usually offers “regrets,” but not apologies, for civilians killed in such strikes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Officials See at Least Two More Years of Somalia Combat - December 10th, 2017
- Worldwide Protests Continue Over Trump's Jerusalem Declaration - December 10th, 2017
- Jerusalem Protests Continue Across Palestine - December 10th, 2017
- US Pushes Diplomatic Isolation for North Korea, Despite Being 'Open to Talks' - December 10th, 2017
- State Dept Spends $1 Million Funding Venezuela Opposition - December 10th, 2017