The Ukrainian military’s “anti-terrorist” operation against eastern secessionists has finally reached the largest city involved, Donetsk, and they have reportedly attacked the suburb of Petrovsky.
Heavy fighting has been reported in the suburb, and powerful blasts were reported in the city itself, with at least two civilians reported killed, including one elderly man slain by rocket fire.
Military officials downplayed the incidents, and also the chances of a quick resolution of the attack on Donetsk, saying there was a lot of fighting to go before the military could take over the city.
The impending offensive against the densely populated city has civilians pouring out of the area, fleeing the violence. Nearly a million east Ukrainians have been displaced, most of them going into neighboring Russia.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Warns They'll Fight Jihadists If They Reject Idlib Deal - October 15th, 2018
- Scores of Taliban Killed in Afghanistan Fighting - October 15th, 2018
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018