Earlier today, the Israeli military announced a four-hour “humanitarian lull” in the Gaza Strip, giving civilians in the strip a chance to go out and try to find food at the marketplaces, or so they thought.
Instead, Israel let hundreds of civilians pour into the Shejaiya marketplace and then attacked it long before the truce expired, killing at least 17 civilians and wounding 160 others.
It was one of several Israeli attacks reported during the four-hour “lull,” almost entirely focusing on civilian targets, and by all accounts so far killing exclusively civilians.
Displaced civilians were already reeling after Israel attacked a UN-run hospital packed full of civilians overnight, killing at least 19 other civilians there. The Israeli government has yet to respond to the marketplace attack, but continues to talk up escalation of the war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Under Pressure to Accept North Korea Nuclear Freeze Deal - June 21st, 2017
- As ISIS Loses Ground, US Is on a Collision Course With Syria and Iran - June 21st, 2017
- US, Russia Continue to Inch Toward Confrontation in Syria - June 21st, 2017
- Wall Street Journal Fires Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent Over Arms Dealer Links - June 21st, 2017
- Saudis, Allies Have 'List of Demands' for Qatar - June 21st, 2017