Earlier today, the Israeli military announced a four-hour “humanitarian lull” in the Gaza Strip, giving civilians in the strip a chance to go out and try to find food at the marketplaces, or so they thought.
Instead, Israel let hundreds of civilians pour into the Shejaiya marketplace and then attacked it long before the truce expired, killing at least 17 civilians and wounding 160 others.
It was one of several Israeli attacks reported during the four-hour “lull,” almost entirely focusing on civilian targets, and by all accounts so far killing exclusively civilians.
Displaced civilians were already reeling after Israel attacked a UN-run hospital packed full of civilians overnight, killing at least 19 other civilians there. The Israeli government has yet to respond to the marketplace attack, but continues to talk up escalation of the war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas: Campaign for Jerusalem Has Begun - July 23rd, 2017
- US Coalition Sees a 'Lot More' to Do in Syria After Raqqa - July 23rd, 2017
- US Likely to Get Dragged Into Any Kurdish Conflict With Assad - July 23rd, 2017
- Iran and Iraq Sign New Military Cooperation Deal - July 23rd, 2017
- Ceasefire Announced in Damascus Suburb of Eastern Ghouta - July 23rd, 2017