Earlier today, the Israeli military announced a four-hour “humanitarian lull” in the Gaza Strip, giving civilians in the strip a chance to go out and try to find food at the marketplaces, or so they thought.
Instead, Israel let hundreds of civilians pour into the Shejaiya marketplace and then attacked it long before the truce expired, killing at least 17 civilians and wounding 160 others.
It was one of several Israeli attacks reported during the four-hour “lull,” almost entirely focusing on civilian targets, and by all accounts so far killing exclusively civilians.
Displaced civilians were already reeling after Israel attacked a UN-run hospital packed full of civilians overnight, killing at least 19 other civilians there. The Israeli government has yet to respond to the marketplace attack, but continues to talk up escalation of the war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018