Following the all-too-familiar trend of denying attacks on civilian targets, then loudly defending them, the Israeli Foreign Ministry today issued a statement defending last night’s attack on a UN-run girls’ school full of refugees, an attack that killed at least 20 people and wounded scores of others.
Deputy Foreign Minister Tzahi Hanegbi cited previous UN discoveries of rockets stored in closed schools, insisting the UN had no right to complain when Israel attacked any of their schools at this point.
The difference is that the schools the UN found rockets hidden in were closed for the summer, while the schools Israel has attacked so far were open and running, with the UN using them to house hundreds of thousands of civilians fleeing the Israeli onslaught.
Indeed, Israel continues to order civilians out of their homes as they escalate the attacks on the Gaza Strip, and since they’re attacking literally every city and town in Gaza there is no place to go except for these 85 UN-run shelters. Having chosen to deliberately target these shelters, Israel is only adding to the growing international outcry about their war crimes in Gaza.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump: Afghan War Decisions Made - August 19th, 2017
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017