Following the all-too-familiar trend of denying attacks on civilian targets, then loudly defending them, the Israeli Foreign Ministry today issued a statement defending last night’s attack on a UN-run girls’ school full of refugees, an attack that killed at least 20 people and wounded scores of others.
Deputy Foreign Minister Tzahi Hanegbi cited previous UN discoveries of rockets stored in closed schools, insisting the UN had no right to complain when Israel attacked any of their schools at this point.
The difference is that the schools the UN found rockets hidden in were closed for the summer, while the schools Israel has attacked so far were open and running, with the UN using them to house hundreds of thousands of civilians fleeing the Israeli onslaught.
Indeed, Israel continues to order civilians out of their homes as they escalate the attacks on the Gaza Strip, and since they’re attacking literally every city and town in Gaza there is no place to go except for these 85 UN-run shelters. Having chosen to deliberately target these shelters, Israel is only adding to the growing international outcry about their war crimes in Gaza.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018