In a move aimed at further lowering the morale of Iraq’s struggling military, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has issued a 30-minute video showing their fighters rampaging through Tikrit, and executing dozens of captured Iraqi soldiers.
The video goes on to warn Iraqi soldiers who continued to fight the ISIS advance will face the same treatment, as the dozens of executed soldiers are thrown into a pit.
Other than the executions, the video shows ISIS fighters in US-made Humvees and flat-bed trucks, and even rolling around in small tanks seized during the capture of Mosul last month.
The quick loss of major cities to ISIS did serious harm to Iraq’s military’s morale, and the video will doubtless make matters worse, though it may also fuel more sectarian anger, particularly among Shi’ite militias who increasingly dominate the defense of Iraqi territory north of Baghdad.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Will Provide S-300s to Syria to Defend Entire Airspace - September 25th, 2018
- Pompeo Slams EU Plan to Circumvent US Sanctions on Iran - September 25th, 2018
- US General: Removing Troops From Korea a Major Tactical Risk - September 25th, 2018
- South Korean President: Kim Is Serious About Giving Up Nuclear Bombs - September 25th, 2018
- US Adjusting Tactics as Afghanistan Casualties Rise - September 25th, 2018