80% of Palestinian Dead Are Civilians; 25 of 27 Israelis Are Soldiers
The latest Israeli war in the Gaza Strip continues to escalate today, with 13 Israeli soldiers killed in Sunday’s fighting in the strip, and seven more killed overnight and into Monday.
The death toll on the Palestinian side is still soaring, with around 100 killed today, bringing the overall toll to 532 dead, and well over 2,000 wounded. The Red Cross is working to broker a ceasefire to allow the dead and wounded to be taken out of the battlefield.
The toll on the Palestinian side is overwhelming civilian in nature, with an estimated 80 percent of the slain civilians. Of the 532, over 100 were children. By contrast, the dead on the Israeli side are almost exclusively soldiers, with 25 troops killed and 2 civilians since the war began.
The latest reports out of Gaza say Israeli forces are firing flechette shells now, which explode and spray out thousands of tiny darts to increase the number of casualties. The shells were fired near Khan Younis.
The war continues to escalate, and there seems to be little sign of that stopping, with Israel having no real exit strategy or even endgame envisioned for the conflict, being the vague hope of returning to “calm.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Ukraine DM Threatens to Restart Nuclear Weapons Program - September 16th, 2014
- FSA Rebels Urge Israel to Impose No-Fly Zone Over Syria - September 16th, 2014
- Afghan Soldier Kills US Soldier in Herat 'Green-on-Blue Attack' - September 16th, 2014
- Ukraine Grants ‘Special Status’ for East to End War - September 16th, 2014
- Free Syrian Army Won't Join US Anti-ISIS Coalition - September 16th, 2014