Russia’s Foreign Ministry has issued a statement today reacting angrily to the latest round of US sanctions against them, saying they believe the move is simply spite because the situation in the Ukraine hasn’t unfolded as the Obama Administration had hoped.
The statement insisted it was “groundless” to blame Russia for the Ukrainian conflict, particularly with Russia pushing hard for an end to the ongoing civil war.
The US has been pretty straightforward about that being exactly what they are doing, and on a daily basis the State Department refers to the Ukrainian war as a “Russian invasion.” The most recent sanctions are aiming to target Russian arms exporters, particularly.
Russian officials are warning about retaliatory sanctions, and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev also warned that Russia could respond to the “hostile” action with increased military spending.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Denies Secret Deal With UAE - August 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Visits Ghazni to Declare Victory, but Fighting Is Ongoing - August 17th, 2018
- Bomb That Killed Scores of Children in Yemen Was US Supplied - August 17th, 2018
- US Redirects Syria Funds, Emphasizes It Is Not Withdrawing - August 17th, 2018
- Officials Worry Trump May Back Erik Prince Plan to 'Privatize' Afghan War - August 17th, 2018