Russia’s Foreign Ministry has issued a statement today reacting angrily to the latest round of US sanctions against them, saying they believe the move is simply spite because the situation in the Ukraine hasn’t unfolded as the Obama Administration had hoped.
The statement insisted it was “groundless” to blame Russia for the Ukrainian conflict, particularly with Russia pushing hard for an end to the ongoing civil war.
The US has been pretty straightforward about that being exactly what they are doing, and on a daily basis the State Department refers to the Ukrainian war as a “Russian invasion.” The most recent sanctions are aiming to target Russian arms exporters, particularly.
Russian officials are warning about retaliatory sanctions, and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev also warned that Russia could respond to the “hostile” action with increased military spending.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- UN Aid Chief Slams Saudis for Blocking Yemen Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Top US General: Attack on Japan Same as an Attack on US - August 18th, 2017
- Saudi Arabia Courts Iraq Alliance, Offering Reconstruction Aid - August 18th, 2017
- Assad Advisor: Syrian War Effectively Over - August 18th, 2017
- North Korea Sees Planned US-South Korea Wargames as 'Catastrophe' - August 18th, 2017