Russia’s Foreign Ministry has issued a statement today reacting angrily to the latest round of US sanctions against them, saying they believe the move is simply spite because the situation in the Ukraine hasn’t unfolded as the Obama Administration had hoped.
The statement insisted it was “groundless” to blame Russia for the Ukrainian conflict, particularly with Russia pushing hard for an end to the ongoing civil war.
The US has been pretty straightforward about that being exactly what they are doing, and on a daily basis the State Department refers to the Ukrainian war as a “Russian invasion.” The most recent sanctions are aiming to target Russian arms exporters, particularly.
Russian officials are warning about retaliatory sanctions, and Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev also warned that Russia could respond to the “hostile” action with increased military spending.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Airstrikes in Afghanistan Soar; Number Nears Height of War - April 26th, 2018
- Pentagon Expects Renewed Push Against ISIS in Eastern Syria - April 26th, 2018
- Israeli War With Iran Increasingly Likely, Mattis Warns - April 26th, 2018
- Mattis Defends Iran Deal as Trump Mulls Withdrawing - April 26th, 2018
- Trump Says Details Still Under Discussion on Summit With North Korea - April 26th, 2018