The Israeli military has issued a statement today announcing that they have called up another 18,000 reservist soldiers for the ongoing invasion of the Gaza Strip, bringing the overall number up to 65,000.
Israel began the invasion of the strip earlier this afternoon, just hours after ending a five hour “humanitarian ceasefire,” and one which officials say will likely be escalated further in the days to come.
The exact number of troops involved in the ground invasion so far is unknown, but is believed to be many thousands, backed with tanks and warplanes that are continuing to pound the tiny enclave’s civilian population.
Israel had troops on “stand-by” along the Gaza border for several days, and it was only after finally getting approval from the security cabinet today that the invasion began.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Gaza Ceasefire Largely Holding After Weekend Flareup - July 15th, 2018
- US Officials Say Trainer Policies May Change After Afghan Insider Attack - July 15th, 2018
- Israel Attacks Airbase Outside Northern Syrian City of Aleppo - July 15th, 2018
- Trump Lowers Expectations for Russia Summit - July 15th, 2018
- Afghan Civilian Deaths Hit Record High, Says UN - July 15th, 2018