The Eastern Ukrainian rebels appear to have stymied the latest offensive by the military, and is moving to retake lost ground, seizing the key border village of Marinyvka, giving them a key crossing into neighboring Russia.
The civilians are taking advantage of this as the Ukrainian military continues to move against rebel territory, as many continue to pour across the border, where Russia is allowing them to stay as refugees.
The rebels lost a lot of cities in the latest Ukrainian offensive, and the military insists they will “purge” the region of ethnic Russian rebels, though the loss of Mirinyvka means the rebels can seek more aid through Russia.
Death tolls from the Mirinyvka fight are so far unclear, though the rebels reported losing one fighter, and destroying a pair of military APCs.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Appeals Court Case Aims to Challenge President's War Powers - August 16th, 2017
- Shi'ite Villagers Rebury Victims After Afghan Police Discover Mass Graves - August 16th, 2017
- Air Force Chief: Israel Has Attacked Syrian Arms Convoys Nearly 100 Times in 5 Years - August 16th, 2017
- Israel to Revoke al-Jazeera Reporter's Credentials in Test Case - August 16th, 2017
- North Korea 'Threat' to Guam Greatly Overblown - August 15th, 2017