Every 5 minutes, according to the Israeli military, they launch another air strike against the Gaza Strip as part of their endless escalation. 1,100 targets have been hit so far, and the term “targets” is being used rather loosely, with many hitting seemingly random civilian homes.
All told, the confirmed death toll right now among Gazans is 114, with at least 75 civilians among them, 23 of them children. Over 700 Gazans were also wounded, many severely. No Israelis have been killed, though Israel claimed one seriously wounded and eight overall “injuries.”
The majority of the slain in Israeli strikes are not only innocent civilians, but children, women, and the elderly, as the air strikes are hitting a lot of random houses and people can’t get out fast enough.
Though Israel is warning 100,000 Gazans to leave their homes in anticipation of a ground invasion, there isn’t really any place for them to go, as the tiny, besieged strip is only a few miles wide, and everything is a target anyhow.
Though warning sirens blare in Israeli cities and residents flock to shelters, virtually all the Israeli injuries came when one of Hamas’ makeshift rockets slammed into a gas station and caused a fire. For most in the “line of fire,” the latest Gaza War is mostly about taking lawn-chairs to the hilltops to watch the warplanes clobbering nearby Palestinian refugee camps.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says there is absolutely no pressure on him to stop the attacks on Gaza, and that Israel is not giving any consideration to even discussing a truce. For now, they just wait five minutes and press another button, destroying another house.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Abbas: After 20 Meetings I Still Don't Understand Their Peace Plan - August 20th, 2017
- Lebanon's Army Advances Deep Into ISIS-Held Border Territory - August 20th, 2017
- North Korea Warns of Nuclear War If 'Reckless' US Drill Leads to Actual Fighting - August 20th, 2017
- Iraq PM Announces Invasion of Tal Afar, Sparking New Refugee Exodus - August 20th, 2017
- Trump to Announce New Afghan War Strategy Monday Night - August 20th, 2017