We’ve been hearing for awhile how far apart the US and Iran are in ongoing nuclear negotiations. The latest comments from Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s Supreme Leader, have provided the first indications of how far apart.
That’s far from what Iran was thinking, as the nation is aiming to have self-sufficiency in fuel for its Bushehr Power Plant, and according to Khamenei was envisioning 190,000 centrifuges as a final goal.
It’s been reported for quite some time that the two sides were headed in different directions on the number of centrifuges, but to have a 19-fold difference in the number still, less than two weeks from the deadline, suggests no deal is likely.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Koreas' Olympic Détente Upends US Strategy - January 17th, 2018
- Saudis Transfer $2 Billion to Prop Up Yemeni Allies' Currency - January 17th, 2018
- World Economic Forum Survey Sees More War in 2018 - January 17th, 2018
- Syrian Kurds Urge UN Action to Prevent Turkish Invasion - January 17th, 2018
- Turkey Says Will Attack Unless US Withdraws Support for Syrian Kurds - January 17th, 2018