We’ve been hearing for awhile how far apart the US and Iran are in ongoing nuclear negotiations. The latest comments from Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s Supreme Leader, have provided the first indications of how far apart.
That’s far from what Iran was thinking, as the nation is aiming to have self-sufficiency in fuel for its Bushehr Power Plant, and according to Khamenei was envisioning 190,000 centrifuges as a final goal.
It’s been reported for quite some time that the two sides were headed in different directions on the number of centrifuges, but to have a 19-fold difference in the number still, less than two weeks from the deadline, suggests no deal is likely.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Struggles to Find Destinations for ISIS Detainees in Syria - July 18th, 2018
- Syrian Rebel City of Nawa Surrenders After Intense Airstrikes - July 18th, 2018
- Trump: Russia Doesn't Pose a Threat to US - July 18th, 2018
- Russia Urges UN to Mull Easing North Korea Sanctions Amid Diplomatic Progress - July 18th, 2018
- Israel Approves Jewish Nation-State Law in Narrow Vote - July 18th, 2018