Iraq has already burned through hundreds of US-made Hellfire Missiles in fighting the ISIS invasion, and another 100 already ordered are expected to be delivered in mid-July. This is just the tip of the iceberg, however.
According to officials familiar with the situation, President Obama intends to push through a plan to sell another 4,000 Hellfire Missiles to Iraq soon, a major contract for Lockheed Martin.
Iraq doesn’t have a lot of options for firing Hellfire Missiles yet, with no US warplanes delivered, and Iraq is said to be using Cessna 208 Caravan prop planes to fire the missiles.
Some in Congress had previously objected to selling the Maliki government masses of Hellfire Missiles, noting Maliki’s inclination to use them against internal opposition. The objection seems to have dried up in recent days, with many hoping to escalate US involvement in the war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Foreign ISIS Fighters Left in Raqqa Face 'Certain Death' - October 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Vehicles Led Iraqi Invasion of Kurdish Town - October 22nd, 2017
- Niger Ambush Serves as Excuse for AFRICOM to Seek More Funds - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalan Leaders Vow to Resist Spain's Attempted Takeover - October 22nd, 2017
- Spain Seeks Huge Power Transfer in Trying to Oust Catalan Leadership - October 22nd, 2017